Maloney Joins Democrats in Unveiling Tough Legislation to Curb Congressional Corruption
"The Republican Congress has been a feeding frenzy for lobbyists," said Maloney . "Republicans have been serving special interests rather than the American people. We Democrats are determined to end the culture of corruption in Washington ."
Specifically, the Democratic plan will:
- Ban all gifts and travel from lobbyists;End the so-called "K Street Project," in which corporations and lobbying firms had to hire Republicans in order to maintain their political access;
- Require lobbyists to make more detailed and frequent disclosures of their activities;
- Double the amount of time members and senior staff are prohibited from lobbying, and keep former members who are lobbyists off the floor of Congress;
- Eliminate irresponsible no-bid contracts and ensure that the government contracting process is honest, open, competitive and fair;
- Prohibit cronyism by making sure individuals appointed to key positions have relevant and proven credentials.
"These reforms will be strong medicine for a government infected by the likes of Abramoff, "Brownie" and Halliburton," Maloney added. "Voters are demanding change and rightly so. Our bill is a good first step towards restoring Americans' trust in government."
Further information about the Democratic legislation can be found at https://www.democrats.gov/.