Maloney hails introduction of the Affordable Health Care for America Act
Oct 29, 2009
WASHINGTON, DC – Rep. Carolyn Maloney (D-NY) today offered the following statement upon the introduction of the “Affordable Health Care for America Act”:
“Today marks a significant day in our path toward securing affordable, accessible, and quality health care for all Americans. Our current health care system is broken. Costs continue to increase at unsustainable rates and too many families and businesses are feeling the debilitating burdens brought on by these expenses. Too many Americans have inadequate coverage or lack coverage entirely and are suffering or dying as a result.
“This legislation is critical to the health of our families, to the health of our economy and to the health of our nation:
- It lowers costs for every patient, reins in premiums, co-pays, and deductibles, limits out of pocket costs, and lifts the cap on what insurance companies cover each year;
- It strengthens Medicare, securing the financial stability and solvency of Medicare for years to come, and provides seniors with better benefits and guaranteed access to their doctors;
- It reduces the deficits and meets President Obama’s request to keep the cost under $900 billion over 10 years;
- It provides affordable coverage to those who cannot get health insurance because of pre-existing conditions, including domestic violence and pregnancy and protects consumers from higher rates do to gender or other factors;
- And, very importantly, this legislation includes a public health insurance option that will increase competition and reform our current system. Every day, 14,000 Americans lose their health care coverage. The public option will bring down costs and expand access.
“Health care is the most important public policy issue of our generation that will affect generations to come. I commend our House leadership, Speaker Pelosi, Majority Leader Hoyer, Chairman Waxman, Chairman Rangel, and Chairman Miller and look forward to working with Congress to pass legislation that will have a lasting impact on our nation’s health and future.”# # #